Saturday, August 1, 2009

Watching Ants

I am sitting here, eating ham, (at 10:30 at night, no less) thinking about my day. Searching for the theme...And you know, I just had the hardest time. Not because I was bored today or because I am feeling particularly shallow. Moreso, because I have a feeling but cannot express it well in words...

I suppose I should offer some background. We have spent the past month or so attending lots of functions, having some of our own, and just overall busy. Every weekend has been consumed by something. Except this weekend.

This weekend I was delighting at the thought of DOING NOTHING. But it was probably the most fulfilling of all my days this summer, but I couldn't figure out why.

Then it came to me. It was the mac ~n~ cheese pic (see post below) that framed it well. The little things, doing seemingly nothing that special, with my husband and boy. We hadn't done NOTHING in so long. Some of my day was a wee bit frustrating, but one particular point sticks out in my mind.

I was cleaning the "studio" this morning. In my pj's. I heard a banging on the side door coming from outside, and heard my boy yelling "Ma!" "Maaaaaaaa!"
So of course, I went. There they were. Jack and Daddy, sitting on the outside step, smiling up at me. Jack, (who is 22 months tomorrow btw) says, "Sit."

And that was the moment I realized that I can work, or do my artwork, clean the house, cook, wash, visit friends, make plans, do, do, do, but the very most memorable, meaningful, important and most cherished will be those tiny little seemingly slow and uneventful moments that make my life so rich.

My two loves of my life in one place, sitting in the sun, gazing at ants on the ground. Watching my boy devour his food with gusto and passion. Laughing and flopping around on pillows in the playroom, with nothing in our heads but that.

I am blessed. I am blessed for so many reasons, but am most happy that I was able to enjoy this day for all its littleness, seemingly unimportant importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment